Monday, December 26, 2011

The Adventure North

It was a long, hard trip sliding from Columbus Ohio to Homer Alaska, but I made it. I wanted to be there for Christmas with Beanie and all the dogs, and made it just in time on Christmas Eve. She owns Tails-By-The-Bay Dog Camp and has 17 dogs in camp for the holidays! Yippee, what fun! I am so excited. Now that I have made myself a Flatman it is easy to travel.

Getting from Columbus to Canada was my biggest challenge. I slipped into the baggage area of a Greyhound bus. My mom and dad once rode a bus to Seattle and weren't speaking by the time they arrived. I can understand why. It was the longest ride of my life because I had to change buses 3 times - once in Chicago where the Bears were playing football and there were a gazillion people getting off at this station. Next I changed in Big Sky Montana where the temperature dropped below zero and caused me to shiver and shake along the station floor getting to the next bus. But the blue skies were awesome! Finally we arrived in rainy Seattle where the Seahawks were also playing football and lots more people left the Greyhound. I almost missed my last bus. The hatch was closing and I was barely able to squeeze through. Good thing I am nice and flat. The last stop before leaving for Alaska was beautiful Vancouver, B.C.

Luckily I was able to slide under the closing door of a cargo van in the Vancouver parking lot and ride all the way from British Columbia to Anchorage. I saw moose, elk, caribou and black bears along the way. It was so cool! Once the cargo van was unloading boxes and I was able to glide along the snow covered road with two buffalos and their babies for a bit before I had to get back in the van and continue on north to Alaska.


Once we arrived I then had to hop a train to Girdwood where I skidded on the snow into an open car door bound for Homer. No one noticed me since I am so flat.

I found Beanie's house by snowboarding through the blizzard to Katie Jean Circle. It was great to finally see her green VW called Meems in the driveway. I knew this was it! It was difficult getting up the steps because the snow was soooo deep, but after several attempts I finally made it to the sliding glass door and of course slid on in the house without being noticed.

That is, except for Rudy the Cocker Spaniel who had to come smell me alerting all the dogs that I had arrived.




There was a blazing fire in the woodstove so I skidded over there to warm up. It's only 4 degrees outside so I was freezing cold.

The fire warmed me up and made me very sleepy. I found the back bedroom and slipped under the snowman sheets and down comforter for a good long sleep.

There is a sadness at TBTB Dog Camp because my cousin Jake's dog has disappeared. It's a mission for tomorrow. But first, I need some sleep.

Flatman Josh signing off for tonight. Goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment